[USML Announce] USML - Roster Posting Day

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sun Mar 13 18:40:18 EST 2005

Any player who has a running contract counts against your $260.  McPherson
and Young have running contracts.  They count against your $260.

If we were drafting after opening day and they were not on a major league
roster, they would still count against the $260, but, under those
circumstances, would be slotted down to your reserve roster.  Take a look at
17.3 and 17.4 of our rules.  The first section covers the salary piece.  The
second section deals with slotting.

The problem that we had to deal with last year was how to deal with all of
this when we draft in advance of opening day.  Section 17.3 -- the salary
part -- still works.  Basically, if they have running contracts then the
salary counts against the $260.  The slotting piece (17.4) doesn't work
because that rule assumes that we are drafting after opening day.  The rule
that we adopted last year and which I still assume we will follow again is
that players with USML rookie status are slotted down and all others are
slotted up.  A player has USML rookie status if they are a major league
rookie who does not have a running USML contract.  Every player taken in the
USML auction draft has a running contract.

If we had drafted after opening day last year then McPherson and Young would
not have been available in the auction draft and would still have USML
rookie status.  This is one of the side effects of using the pre-opening day
bright line rules we used last year, i.e., all 40-man players are available.
We can do a bit of prospecting, but there is a cost.

-- Rich

  _____