[USML Announce] The Conventional Winick: K-9 Re-Armed, Ready To Rumble Even Sans Craig Hansen

Jim Barrett chicagojab at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 13:19:14 EST 2006

I think its way too early to set a date....who knows what the future will bring?  Although for you early planners out there, March 31st also happens to be my birthday.

rickgam at comcast.net wrote:    Greetings;
       I haven't confirmed with the boss, ummm Laura, but the three times proposed by Andy look good to me, in that order of preference.  Now back to the Matsuzaka and Iverson watches.
       Rick

From: "Andrew R. Klein" <anrklein at yahoo.com>
Looks like a good roster to me.  But count Hansen among my nine, which means I'm taking offers for others on the list!

On more important matters, I propose that we pick a draft date early this year to avoid the annual scramble.  Here are my three suggestions.

1.  Saturday April 7, 8 am, Sidley conference room.  This is the "traditional" Saturday-after-opening day.
2.  Sunday April 8, 8 am, Sidley conference room.
3.  Saturday March 31, 8 am, Sidley conference room.  This is right before the season and the day before Easter.

-Andy

Brad Jansen wrote:     Greetings from Philadelphia, PA, my good friends.  Let's take a quick spin around the K-9's roster, and see who's likely to stick around next season!  In keeping with Klein's boastful claims that he trades not in magic beans, but in modestly priced veterans, there are absolutely no minor leaguers to speak of.  Fine, because usually those that do appear on his team are not worthy of my mention anyway.

  So, on to the vets, and here's my Best Guess as to the Klein Nine Starting Nine:

    Erik Bedard-3/y2
    Mark Teahan- 3/y1
    Covelli Crisp-7/LT07
    Jhonny Peralta-7/LT07
    BJ Ryan-15/LT07
    Corey Patterson-15/yr1
    Maggs Ordinary-18/yr1
    Raul Ibanez-19/yr2
    C.C. Sabathia-20/yr1

  Honorable mentions include Hayden Penn (1/yr1), Wily Mo Pena (12-yr1) and the beloved Craig Hanse(9-yr1).  None of them is likely to displace the 9 I have identified after minutes of research.

  So, that's it.  Some nice SPs, a solid CL, nice start with SBs...and then there's guys like Crisp and Peralta.  Plenty of money to spend on draft day, but few bargaining chips when I fall from the race in May and Klein is looking for that One Sure Thing to solidify his grip on 4th place.  But it's a good start for a good man.

   That's it for now.  I have deals to close, gifts to buy and bells to ring. I remain, not so humbly,
  Jeffrey H. Winick

Ready To Rumble Even Sans Craig Hansen
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:25:12 +0000