[USML Announce] The Conventional Winick: Tough Fishing For Calamari's Keepers

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:47:33 EST 2006

So many rosters, so little time, but here's what the Winick says about the
LMC's retainees:
    It's a shallow talent pool for this squad, but that merely means they
will have plenty of bucks to spend at the draft (as will many teams in '07,
and like my contemporaries at the Fed, I'm very very worried about
inflation).  Right now it looks like Jenks (1/y2), Frank Catalanotto (3/yr1)
and maybe Brian Anderson (5/y1), with the possibility of retaining Joe
Blanton (15/y2) again, along with Jon Garland (17/yr1) .  If Adam Loewen
(5/y1) makes the Orioles' rotation, then I certainly recommend his
retention.  Among the minor leaguers, it's Javier Herrera (OAK/5) and John
Danks (TEX/2) and Jeff Niemann (TB/2).
    Now, if the LMC want to rebuild, as I do semi-annually, then thought may
be given to the likes of Travis Hafner (38), A-Rod (46) or Garrett Anderson
(18).  Certainly, I would trade Erik Aybar for them, after the draft and
before Shabes excuses himself.  And perhaps they'll peddle Joe Nelson
(35/yr1) to the Rips as insurance for Octavio Dotel....
     So, that's it--I admit my essay is not particularly inspiring, but
neither is this list of possible retainees.  I promise I'll do better when I
evaluate Mister Morningstar's roster next.  To paraphrase my idol Peter
Frampton (and lord, how many bags of the good stuff I cleaned on that double
album sleeve...), "I want you-oo-oo to show me the Wang, every day..."
Groove me, Robbins, I'm comin' for ya!

    Jeffrey H. Winick,
    RotoMaster Blaster