[USML Announce] DUMP: Baseball America Names Gordon POY

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Tue Sep 12 16:35:31 EDT 2006

For those that don't have the link, here's the article:
Gordon Wins Minor League Player Of The Year
By _Joanna Chadwick_ (http://search.baseballamerica.com/?q=Joanna+Chadwick)
By Joanna  Chadwick _E-mail this article_ (mailto:?subject=Baseball America:
Gordon%20Wins%20Minor%20League%20Player%20Of%20The%20Year&body=http://www.baseb
allamerica.com/today/prospects/news/262429.html)   September 12, 2006 _Print
this article_
(http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/news/print262429.html)
WICHITA, Kan.--Kansas City Royals fans have salivated over the  thought of
watching Alex Gordon, the No. 2 overall pick in 2005, play at  Kauffman Stadium.
They've dreamed of how he'll turn around the organization,  become a mainstay
at third base, lead the team to the playoffs.

THE ALEX GORDON FILE  Born: Lincoln, Neb., Feb. 10,  1984. Home: Lincoln,
Neb. Height: 6-1. Weight: 220. Bats-Throws: L-R.  Career Highlights:Started all
four seasons at Lincoln Southeast High, finishing  with overall numbers of
.483-25-112 . . . Was a three-time first-team  All-Nebraska selection and was
named one of the top 100 high school  seniors by Baseball America in 2002 . . .
Was chosen as the Gatorade  Nebraska player of the year in 2002, finishing
second in the state with a  .500 average and 31 RBIs . . . Earned first-team
all-state honors as a  defensive back his senior season, leading the state with
seven  interceptions while averaging 20 yards per catch on offense and 35 yards
on kickoff returns . . . Helped Nebraska to the Big 12 regular season  title as
a freshman, hitting .319 in the process . . . As a sophomore,  Gordon led the
Big 12 in homers (25), slugging percentage (.754), on-base  percentage
(.493), and triples (five) . . . MVP of the 2004 FISU World  University Championship
in Taiwan, helping Team USA win the gold medal; he  played first base while
current Nationals infielder Ryan Zimmerman played  third . . . In 2005, Gordon
took home the Dick Howser Trophy as the  nation's top player, as well as
Baseball America's College Player of the  Year award after hitting .372/.518/.715
with 19 homers in 253 at-bats . .  . Was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2005
draft by the Royals . . . started  his pro career at first base in the Arizona
Fall League, where he slugged  .460 and carried a .403 on-base percentage in
just 50 at-bats . . .  started first pro season at Double-A Wichita, where he led
the Texas  League in slugging (.588) and runs scored (111) while finishing
second in  the league in extra-base hits (69) and third in on-base percentage
(.427),  hits (158), home runs (29), and RBIs (100) . . . represented the Royals
 organization, along with outfielder Billy Butler, at the 2006 Futures Game
in Pittsburgh at the all-star break . . . was named the Texas League Most
Valuable Player . . . first player ever to win BA's College and Minor  League
Player of the Year awards in consecutive  seasons.Just like Hall of Famer George
Brett  did.

Gordon is the future, they believe.

Those are pretty high  expectations that carry a hefty amount of pressure,
but Gordon has certainly  done nothing to prove those diehards wrong, earning
Baseball America's Minor  League Player of the Year award.

"He's very impressive," said J.J.  Picollo, Royals senior director of minor
league operations. "He's got that rare  combination of speed and power. You
don't see a lot of guys who can run the way  he does and drive the ball out of
the ballpark the way he does. He's very  well-rounded . . . I don't know what
you could ask anyone else to do in his  first full season."

It wouldn't have surprised anyone if Gordon had  stumbled a bit this season.
While he was BA's College Player of the Year in 2005  at Nebraska, this is
professional baseball and he opened the year in Double-A  Wichita after making
his debut on the opposite side of the infield in the  Arizona Fall League last
October.

It's quite a jump to make, it's a  tiring process playing 140 regular season
games when you're used to playing half  that, and the pressure was intense.
The media wanted him constantly, whether  they were newspaper writers, TV or
radio stations from Wichita, Kansas City,  Lincoln, Neb., or ESPN2. Fans'
expectations were fierce. Everyone wanted a  piece.

Yet all Gordon did was go out and impress. Again, and again and  again.

"He's been solid in everything, base stealing, hitting for  average, hitting
for power," said Frank White, Double-A Wichita manager and  former Royals
second baseman. "Definitely all phases of his game have been  solid.

"He's done an outstanding job, he works hard in practice, he takes  this game
seriously and he comes to try to win every day. That's what stands  out, that
he's been able to maintain it all, and he's been strong in the clutch,  too."

"He Can Do  Everything"

By the numbers, Gordon had a great year: He hit .325  with 111 runs, 158
hits, 39 doubles, 29 homers, 22 stolen bases, 72 walks and  100 RBIs. He also had
a .588 slugging percentage and .427 on-base  percentage.

Gordon, who was also named the Texas League player of the  year and a
midseason and postseason all-star, ranked in the top five in the TL  in 10
categories--average (third), runs (first), hits (fourth), doubles (fifth,  homers
(third), RBIs (third), walks (tied for first), slugging percentage  (first), on-base
percentage (third), OPS (first).

He has been helped by a  lineup that includes four other first-round draft
picks in right fielder Billy  Butler (.331/.388/.499), veteran DH Dee Brown
(.307/.346/.490), left fielder  Chris Lubanski (.282/.369/.475) and center fielder
Mitch Maier (.306/.357/.473)  also in the Wranglers' order.

"I think it takes a lot of pressure off me  when you have Billy, Dee and
Mitch behind you," Gordon said. "That's why I  scored so many runs, just because I
found ways to get on base and it's pretty  easy for them to drive me in."

That's a lot of punch in a lineup, but it  doesn't overshadow what Gordon can
do.

"This kid can pretty much do  everything," said Tulsa manager Stu Cole, whose
team faced the Wranglers 27  times in the regular season and then in the
first round of the Texas League  playoffs. "He can hit for power, he can hit for
average, he can steal a base on  you. And he's played pretty good third base
against us."

It would have  been easy for the Royals to rush Gordon up to Kansas City and
enjoy the hype and  attendance that would rush forth with the move.

Brett was so taken with  Gordon during spring training that he added fuel to
fans' Gordon fever by saying  in April that he believed Gordon, based on his
athletic ability and baseball  skills, could have joined the Royals then.

"I didn't think I was as good  as he was," Brett said. "At age 22, I wasn't.
It took me a while to become a  good player; it's going to take him awhile.
But he's so much farther ahead  defensively than I was at 22, the difference is
day and night."

Taking Their Time

That Gordon has done  so well since his first game--he went 2-for-4 and in
his third game he was  3-for-5--raised his rep among his teammates.

"He's sick to do what he's  doing his first year out," said Brown, who has
spent time in the big leagues. "I  know amazing is a loud word, but it's pretty
incredible what he's  doing."

Even so, the organization has been adamant that it will not rush  its players
this year. That's different from past seasons when the Royals bumped  players
from Double-A to the majors too quickly, only to watch them fail and be  sent
back. No one wanted that to happen to Gordon; too much was riding on his
success.

Moving slowly was a decision solidified by new general manager  Dayton Moore.
"When you're dealing with the future of young players, you don't  want to
make mistakes, so you err on the side of caution," Moore said after he  came over
from the Braves in June.

It was a smart move by the Royals to  keep Gordon and Butler with the
Wranglers; they now have a shot at a Texas  League championship. Experiencing winning
is an area the Royals have emphasized  their young players have the chance to
be a part of in their minor league  development.

The Wranglers had the second-best record in the league at  77-62, and the
team has most of the building blocks of the future Royals. While  the four recent
first-round picks provide the nucleus of a future lineup,  Wichita's
postseason rotation might be even more important to Kansas City's  future. Along with
Zach Greinke, trying to work his way back to Kansas City, the  rotation also
includes lefthander Tyler Lumsden and righties Billy Buckner and  2006 No. 1
overall pick Luke Hochevar.

A TL championship might make  Gordon feel better about his season, but it
won't satisfy him.

"I'm never  really satisfied," he said. "I set my expectations high and I
think I can always  do a little extra better. When the end of the season stats
come out, I always  think I could have hit more home runs or had a better
average."

The one  area he was pleased with early was his play on the bases. He had
three stolen  bases in the season opener on April 6 at Tulsa. He had nine in the
season's  first month.

He wasn't as aggressive on the bases as the regular season  wound down in an
attempt to save his body for the postseason.

Developing A Rhythm

Gordon has tweaked  his hitting a bit from his college days. When he first
arrived in Wichita, he  was stiff in the batter's box. He still was successful,
but he worked with  hitting coach Al LeBoeuf religiously to improve that swing.

"In this  game," White said, "you have to put in the time. He's been on the
field. He's  been in the cage."

Gordon now has a strong rhythm in the box, and he  swings at quality pitches
and is patient enough to wait for those pitches. And  while he showed mostly
pull power in his pro debut in the AFL, he's hit to all  fields at Wichita.

"Through the season you go through ups and downs and  you find things that
work for you and don't work for you," Gordon said. "I've  opened up my stance a
little more. It's felt more comfortable at the plate. I  hit the outside pitch
a lot better."

Gordon slumped briefly midway  through the season when he suddenly began to
feel fatigued. His average, which  had gotten as high as .341 in late April,
dipped to .295 on July 15.

This  is what the Royals organization had been waiting for. They knew already
that  Gordon was skilled; it's why they drafted him No. 2 overall. But what
they  didn't know is if he could handle the jump in the number of games played,
if he  could handle a slump and fatigue.

Gordon had started feeling worn down in  mid-June. To make it worse, he
played the entire all-star game at Arkansas' Ray  Winder Field, which irked White.

"We were anticipating him playing two or  three innings, then he played the
whole game," White said. "So when he came  back, he was still a little
fatigued, and we gave him a day off.

"Then he  got a homer to straightaway center field in Springfield and it
seemed like he  got a second wind and he kept it going from there."

And that might be the  understatement of the year, as Gordon put up one of
the strongest finishes of  anyone in the minors, hitting .356 with 19 homers
from July onward.

What  helps Gordon in most situations is his natural poise; he handles
adversity and a  game-winning home run with the same aplomb and composure. If he had
an 0-for-5  night or committed an error in two straight games, you could
count on Gordon  coming back the next day with just as much confidence and
character as if he had  won the game with a homer to left.

So it was no surprise that he wasn't  about to let a fine season be derailed
by fatigue or allow himself to get  wrapped up in a slump.

As for that slump, it didn't last long. One day  after his average fell to
.295, he went 3-for 5-and was back up above .300. His  average has steadily
crept upwards and ranked third in the TL.

Weight Room Warrior

That Gordon has been  strong throughout the long season is a product of his
focus on his physique.  He's a monster in the weight room, where he spends
three or four days a week  during the season. While he rarely maxes out, he can
bench press 225 for 10 or  15 reps.

"I don't try to get bigger, but I want to maintain what I gained  in the
offseason and not lose it," he said.

As much talk as there has  been about Gordon's offense, he's no slouch
defensively. When White was asked  about what Gordon could do at third, the manager
quickly said  "Everything."

Oh, Gordon made 16 errors and he needs to work on his one  weakness, his
backhand. Improving that area will come as he continues as an  every day player.
Overall, though, he's a highly skilled defender.

"He  can do everything," White said. "He makes the routine play, he makes the
 difficult play, he makes the difficult play when he dives left or right. He
catches pop-ups over his head down the line, his throws are accurate, his
footwork is good.

"I mean, he's done everything probably over and above  the expectations
coming out of spring training."

Which means Gordon has  whet the appetite of Royals fans even more. It's hard
to blame them for their  high hopes; Gordon can do little wrong.

Joanna Chadwick covers the Wranglers for The Wichita  Eagle.