[USML Announce] You Asked For It

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Thu Mar 29 14:00:55 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/29/2007 1:47:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
RERobbins at iTinker.net writes:

OK -- now that we have six people who oppose Andy's  proposal and a general
consensus that we should adopt Jim's proposal we need  to figure out exactly
how to implement what Jim wants.
Jim was clear that he doesn't want the rule to  require someone to activate a
player in order to trade him, only that the  player be on a major league
roster with the understanding that the acquiring  owner activate him.
Our rules don't require that a player be on a major  league roster in order
for his USML owner to activate him.  Of course, if  you do so, the player's
contract starts running.
There are a number of ways we might approach  this.
I suspect that what Jim had in mind was something  like 1 or 2 below.  The
last two alternatives may be more permissive than  what Jim intended since
either of those would permit the trade of a prospect,  albeit at the price of a
running contract.
1.  Before June 1, you can't trade a player  whose USML contract is not
running unless that player is, at the effective  time of the trade, on a major
league roster.  If a player on a major  league roster but without a running
contract is traded before June 1, the  acquiring team must roster that player on his
active roster.
2.  Before June 1, you can't trade a player  whose USML contract is not
running unless that player is, at the effective  time of the trade on a major
league roster.  If a player on a major  league roster but without a running
contract is traded before June 1, that  player will be deemed to be in the first year
of his contract without regard  to where the acquiring owner roster's the
player.
3.  Before June 1, you can't trade a player  whose USML contract is not
running.  If a player without a running  contract is traded before June 1, the
acquiring team must roster that player  on his active roster.
4.  Before June 1, you can't trade a player  whose USML contract is not
running.  If a player on a major league roster  but without a running contract is
traded, that player will be deemed to be in  the first year of his contract
without regard to where the acquiring owner  roster's the player.
I'm sorry to drag the league through this but I see  no way out.  These are
the kinds of questions that we must address when  revising our rules.  Once we
understand which of the four variations we  intend, we can turn to language
that will actually work.  This is why I  oppose making last minute rule changes.
-- Rich

If we're going to incorporate the Barrett exception, I would propose that  it
be as follows:

Before June 1, if you trade a player whose USML contract is not  running, the
player will be deemed to be in the first year of his contract  without regard
to whether the acquiring owner rosters the player.

However, I would also like the league to vote on a blanket prohibition that
would read:

Before June 1, a team can't trade a player whose USML contract is not
running.