[USML Announce] Dukin' it out?

Doug Shabelman doug at burnsent.com
Wed May 23 14:51:28 EDT 2007

The wife of Tampa Bay Devil Rays
<http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=tam>  rookie outfielder
Elijah Dukes
<http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7916>  filed for
a restraining order against her husband and said she fears for her life,
The St. Petersburg Times reported Wednesday.
NiShea Gilbert, a middle-school teacher, said that Dukes allegedly burst
into her classroom at lunchtime in April. A frightened Gilbert then ran
to the principal and got a deputy, who banished Dukes from the school.
Gilbert told a Florida court that Dukes threatened to kill her and sent
her a photo of a handgun to her cell phone.
Gilbert played a voice mail allegedly from Dukes for the newspaper. "You
dead, dawg. I ain't even [expletive]. Your kids, too."
Gilbert has filed requests for protection twice in the last month,
according to the newspaper. A hearing on her latest request is scheduled
for May 30.
"I just don't think I should live in fear," Gilbert told the newspaper.
"When [the Rays] go out of town, I come home. When they're at home, I go
stay with my mother. I shouldn't have to live like that because he's a
baseball player."
When approached by the newspaper before Tuesday night's game, Dukes
declined to comment on Gilbert's allegations.
"I'm just going to play ball, that's it," Dukes told the newspaper.
"I've got to go. I've got a video game to finish."
Dukes is batting .231 in his first major league season with eight home
runs and 13 RBIs.

Doug Shabelman, President
Burns Entertainment & Sports Marketing, Inc.
(847) 866-9400 (office)
(773)269-9732 (cell)
doug at burnsent.com

The information contained in this email is proprietary to Burns
Entertainment & Sports Marketing and is considered CONFIDENTIAL in its
entirety and may also be legally privileged. Information may not be
shared with employees of any other company or agency without the
expressed written permission of Burns Entertainment & Sports Marketing
and is subject to the verbal or explicit agreement between Burns and
recipient's company. If you are not the addressee indicated in this
message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you
may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.