[USML Announce] Klein Subject Of Commissioner's Investigation?

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Thu May 24 12:45:55 EDT 2007

On the heels of Andy Klein's admission that he traded for minor
leaguers just days before introducing legislation that would then ban
such deals comes the latest news about Elijah Dukes' threats to his
estranged spouse.

"The news reports stated that Dukes' wife filed court papers seeking an
order of protection weeks before Klein talked Kerber into making such a
preposterous trade," USML ethicist Jeffrey Winick read from a prepared
statement at his weekly news conference.  "My office has received
allegations--and at this time that's all they are--that Klein is close to
certain Republican operatives in Florida's judicial system and was made
aware of the Dukes' marital dissolution many weeks ago. What I want to
know--what the League needs to know-- is what Andy knew and when he knew it.

"It matters little to me that the Klein-9 are in 4th place and in a virtual
freefall. Standings don't matter to me; integrity, however, does.  Klein's
shameless efforts to permanently ban the trades of minor leaguers shortly
after he acquired a stash of them was one thing.  But marketing Elijah Dukes
with the knowledge that he was facing a potential lifetime ban from baseball
is something else. And how ironic that Dukes was one of the minor leaguers
Klein acquired before trying to ban such trades.

"The fruit of the poisonous tree fell at Klein's feet--and he took a
perilous bite.  Like Tony Soprano, Klein is slouching to Bethlehem
(*see *Yeats);
one wonders if a similar fate awaits both of these sociopaths."

Winick stated that he would interview Klein when Winick signs copies of his
children's edition of *Fantasy Baseball* in Indianapolis next month
("They're slow readers down there," Winick explained).

Klein was not responding to calls or emails this morning.