[USML Announce] Putz and Booze: Winick's Rebuilding Plan Ruined

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:33:23 EST 2008

>From the Winter Meetings:  Jeffrey Winick made no secret that he planned to
"rebuild" in '09,  and that ace closer  J.J. Putz (11/LT10) was the
cornerstone of his reconstruction.  What was not so well known was that
Winick and Blocker were thisclose to consummating a deal under which Winick
would receive 12 of Blocker's top minor league, college and high school
players.

Putz' move to the Mets ended those talks, and Winick can only sulk.  "I
still have my Wood," he sighed into his White Russian. "But next year is
hopeless.  You may as well as go ahead and have the draft while I'm on
trial....and look at all the closers on Blocker's team: Jensen Lewis, Frank
Francisco, and now Brandon Morrow...not to mention Todd Jones and Joe
Borowski....4th place really is achievable for the Bombers next year. You've
heard it hear first...."