[USML Announce] ESPN.com: Sources: Cubs, Bradley agree to 3-year deal

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 13:47:57 EST 2009

I wasn't the one who defended Bradley.? That was Winick.

My view of the character issue is that Bradley seems to be?more of a prima donna than an intense gamer.? When you have to be restrained to keep from busting into the press box, that's all about "me"--not about winning.? And you don't pass through 6 teams in 7 years if you're a Pete Rose type.? More like the baseball version of T.O.

But to me, the bigger issue is the injuries.? The man?literally blew out a knee?while arguing with an umpire--sounds like an Andy Klein story, but true nevertheless.? Winick says, "So what if he can't stay healthy the entire year."? But we're not talking about a game or two here and there.? Here are Bradley's games played, by year, between 2002 (when he became a full-time major leaguer) and last year (when he was protected from injury?in the?DH slot):? '02--98; '03--101; '0--141; '05--75; '06--96; '07--61.? His most recent injury, an ACL tear, is notoriously difficult to rehab and will almost certainly cost him much of his mobility.

So, for $10 million a year,?we get a guy who figures to miss about half of every season and to be a royal pain in the ass for the whole time he's around.? No question about the talent, but?there's a lot not to like.