[USML Announce] Miscellanious Ramblings

Mark Blocker mbblocker at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 23:11:04 EST 2009

Jeff:

  Some quick observations on the website.

1.  I had the same problem as Jim: I signed up but it still shows my team as
unregistered.  I tried signing out and back in, but that made no difference.

2.  It does not appear that I can alter any of the commissioner pages, such
as "basic set up."  It lets me change the entries, but offers no way to save
the changes.

3.  One immediate favor:  please change the league name.  Many years ago we
changed the league name to "USML Rotisserie Baseball League."  We did that
so that search engines did not list our roto league in searches for Sidley.
(Humorous sidenote:  such a search probably still yields listings for Mt.
Sidley, one of the tallest mountains in Antarctica, which incredibly is part
of the "Executive Committee Range."  I am not making that up).

4.  The site looks pretty similar to TQ Stats in terms of set-up, but it is
really hard to tell how well it will work until we actually start using it.
Each time we have switched services, we have had some enormous start-up
issues, and simply perusing the site does not tell you much.  It is also
hard to tell how hard the initial data entry will be.  I can tell you right
away that it will not handle e-bay bidding, and so we will have to make
adjustments to the FAAB bidding each week, but that was true in TQ Stats as
well.  One question I would have is how much we know about the people
running it and whether they are likely to be around for awhile.  One of the
benefits of sticking with the same service from year to year is that we can
simply roll-over the rosters without data entry.

  I am around this weekend if you want to talk.

  -- Mark B.

  _____