[USML Announce] Ask Brad Jansen

Andrew Klein anrklein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:39:30 EST 2011

Dear Brad Jansen,

Last week, I picked up  a copy of Fantasty Baseball Guide 2011:
Professional Edition.  As you may know this is a most excellent
resource.  As the cover promises, it has "So Much Strategy You'll
Freak!"  Readers also receive many insightful comments from pixilated
fantasy baseball experts, such as Jeff Winick.

Anyway, after reading Fantasy Baseball Guide 2011: Professional Edition,
I am very concerned about the owner in our league who has Matt Wieters.
To briefly summarize the issue, Wieters sucks.  He hit .249 last year,
with a meager 11 home runs in 450 at bats.  According to Fantasy
Baseball Guide 2011: Professional Edition, Wieters' peers among catchers
are middling bums like Mike Napoli and John Buck.  Even worse, Wieters
is not a "Winick Pick!"

What should this owner do?  Does he stubbornly add years to Wieters'
contract and ratchet him up to $10 or even $15 dollars?  Does he just
ride out the season with Wieters at $5, knowing that Wieters has no
trade value (except to himself, which sort of makes a trade
difficult.)?  Or does he man up, acknowledge the error of his ways, and
cut Wieters?

I look forward to your thoughts on this difficult dilemma.

Yours Truly,

Concerned in Carmel (Indiana)