[USML Announce] News Item

Andrew Klein anrklein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 06:39:47 EDT 2011

NEWS ITEM (From "Jason Grey Blog" ... Not as good as something from one
of Winick's sites, but all I can afford)

      3. Worried about Wieters ...

Another scout I trust who has followed Wieters this spring hasn't seen a
lot of growth in the former top prospect, telling me, "His bat has
looked slow, and the contact has been weak, especially against
southpaws." That's not a good sign, especially because the young catcher
already hasn't shown much growth against lefties (.341 SLG in 251 career
at-bats.) Again, spring training is spring training; we have to be
careful about reading too much into this. But let's just say I'm not
going to be aggressive in pursuing Wieters this season. We have Wieters
ranked ninth among catchers
<http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k11cranks>,
and while I'm comfortable taking the chance on him there, I'm not going
any higher than that, and I'm not taking him in the top 200.

LOSER:  Block's Bombers.  Saddled with an overpriced catcher, and one on
a long-term contract at that.

WINNER:  Berliners.  Jeff chuckles to himself as he polishes the Damon
on his fireplace mantle.

... and only one more day until the season starts!