[USML Announce] Discussion Topics

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 16:45:12 EST 2023

 I'm currently agnositc on changes regarding wins and BA.  Will mull further.
I support the change to handling players traded to the NL.
Finally, to line up the language of the Constitution with league practice with regarding the retention of waived players, I propose that we modify Article VIII, Section 5 to provide as follows (new language in red font):

The salary of a free agent is his acquisitionprice. Except as set forth in the next sentence, the contract status of a freeagent acquired on or before the last weekly transaction deadline beforeSeptember 1 is that of a first-year player. The contract status of a free agentwho, during the course of the season, was in the final year of his contract, isthat of a player in the final year of his contract. The contract status of a free agent or a player that has been waivedand has not passed through waivers, when acquired after the lastweekly transaction deadline before September 1, is that of a player in the final year of his contract.

In the alternative, if we don't adopt that change, I propose that we change league practice to be consistent with the existing language in the Constitution (i.e., waived players aren't free agents until they pass through waivers).  I'd actually prefer that route, but I believe league sentiment is contrary.
Mark