[USML Announce] The Conventional Winick: A First Look at Likely Keepers (Part One: The Angry Young Men)

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 14:07:27 EST 2006

For those of us whose only sports passion is baseball, fantasy or otherwise,
the off-season can be a lonely, frightening time.  Fortunately, roto master
and house minority whip Jeffrey Winick has happily agreed to provide some
off-season analysis, bound to delight all members of the USML.  In this
continuing series, Winick takes aim --as only he can-- at each team's likely
reserve rosters.  Today, Winick looks at the Angry Young Men....

"Doug gave it all he had in '06," observed the Master, "Both in the USML and
on the softball field. Unfortunately, he was a loser on both fronts, paying
dearly with prospects in the first instance (contrary to Klein's claims, but
that's the subject of my brilliant 50,000 word essay) and with lateral
mobility in the other.

"So his roster is ravaged and fairly boring to review. Accordingly, I can't
wait to get to the Bombers, but let's give a courtesy call on the Angries
anyway.  I figure Cintron at $1 stays as MI filler. Emil Brown at $8 looks
solid, as does Mark Grudzielanek at $6.  Gotta love those KC guys hitting in
front of Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Justin Huber and Shane Costa in that
revamped Royals lineup.  That's pretty much it on the offense, but Doug's
always been inclined to go with pitching and acquire offense later and as
needed. Hence, he'll keep Kenny Rogers for another year at $1, Mussina
($10), Zito-if in AL at $17, and perhaps Halladay-21 and/or Todd Jones-20.
As far as magic beans are concerned, they've been digested, spat out and
forsaken.  No prospects of any kind, short or long-term.

"Bottom line: love the pitching, lukewarm about the offense.  Comments,
anyone?"

On-Deck:  The Bashing Bombers Bounce Back.