[USML Announce] ESPN.com:Did A-Rod really gain an edge from PEDs?

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Thu Aug 15 14:57:53 EDT 2013

Fascinating and complex.  On the other hand, one could have asked whether a bunch of skinny guys guys with limited power started launching bombs after they started juicing and bulked up.  Was Raffie Palmiero the same guy in Texas that he was in Chicago?  I don't think so.

Or, if you want to go with the complex approach, you'd have to start by recognizing that both hitters and pitchers were juicing.  If the pitchers were throwing harder and recovering faster between starts (which they almost certainly were), then you could get zero change in net statistics, or even a net reduction in hitting, even though steroids were producing big jumps in individual performance.  (This is where I come down, by the way.)

It's like debating the merits of economic stimulus on the recession.  Democrats say it worked and perhaps was actually too small because the world didn't end, but we still had a major recession.  Republicans say it didn't work because we still had a major recession.  Unless you have some way to run a controlled experiment, you can't sort it out.