[USML Announce] ESPN.com:Did A-Rod really gain an edge fromPEDs?

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Thu Aug 15 15:40:00 EDT 2013

Mark K:  While I generally agree with the second paragraph of what you wrote, it seems like hitters got a bigger advantage, based on HR inflation.  Also, it seems like most of the players who have been caught were hitters, not pitchers (Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite being two of the exceptions).  However, I don't think any of this really matters, because PEDs were banned, so taking them meant you were cheating, end of story.  To use a simple analogy, if a politician stuffs the ballot box but doesn't win, she still broke the law, and the fact she did not get the full benefit of her crime is immaterial.

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of springkerb at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:58 PM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] ESPN.com:Did A-Rod really gain an edge fromPEDs?

Fascinating and complex.  On the other hand, one could have asked whether a bunch of skinny guys guys with limited power started launching bombs after they started juicing and bulked up.  Was Raffie Palmiero the same guy in Texas that he was in Chicago?  I don't think so.

Or, if you want to go with the complex approach, you'd have to start by recognizing that both hitters and pitchers were juicing.  If the pitchers were throwing harder and recovering faster between starts (which they almost certainly were), then you could get zero change in net statistics, or even a net reduction in hitting, even though steroids were producing big jumps in individual performance.  (This is where I come down, by the way.)

It's like debating the merits of economic stimulus on the recession.  Democrats say it worked and perhaps was actually too small because the world didn't end, but we still had a major recession.  Republicans say it didn't work because we still had a major recession.  Unless you have some way to run a controlled experiment, you can't sort it out.